- Altering the Litigation Landscape: Mary Carter Agreements and Stamatopoulos et al v. Harris et al, 2014 ONSC 6313 by Van Krkachovski, MB Firm Newsletter, March 02, 2015
- Future Care Costs: Preparation and Mitigation by Van Krkachovski, First presented at an MB Client Seminar, October 31, 2014
- A Defence Lawyer's Guide to Investigating Modern Insurance Fraud by Van Krkachovski, Presented at the Medical Legal Society of Toronto , November 06, 2013
- Part II: Litigating Oil Leak Claims: Trucking and Marine Accidents: Oils Spills and Liability for Environmental Remediation by Van Krkachovski, Presented at an MB Environmental Law Seminar, October 03, 2012
- Early Claims Resolution Strategies by Van Krkachovski, MB White Paper, December 31, 2009
- On Your Bike by Van Krkachovski, Ogra's Milestones, November 30, 2008
- Lights and Siren by Van Krkachovski, Ogra's Milestones, August 31, 2008
- Cracks in the Defence, Sidewalk Maintenance and Municipal Liability by Van Krkachovski, Ogra's Milestones, May 31, 2008
- Escalating Damages in Canada by Van Krkachovski, Transportation Seminar, February 29, 2008
- Treading on Thin Ice, Keeping Sidewalks Safe by Van Krkachovski, Ogra's Milestones, January 31, 2008
- Cross Border Issues: The Current Automobile Insurance Legislations in Ontario by Van Krkachovski, The Harmonie Group, March 27, 2006
A Focus on Insurance Defence Litigation
Van joined the firm as a partner in 1998, after having been a partner at another major Toronto litigation firm.
After more than 30 years as an experienced and respected trial counsel, having appeared at all levels of the Ontario court system, Van has now taken up the position of Mediator.
As a litigator who has acted for both plaintiffs and defendants, Van now brings to the table—as mediator, the ability to engage with lawyers and clients alike, the ability to listen and respond with a balanced point of view, and a fairness to the process for all individuals involved. Colleagues have noted these traits and see them as being valuable in a mediator such that Van was encouraged by some of the top lawyers and mediators in Ontario to become a mediator.
During the course of his insurance practice, Van has handled all manner of claims with values ranging from a modest sum to millions of dollars. They included personal injury claims, catastrophic injuries, property claims, and coverage disputes, again for plaintiffs and defendants alike. He is well versed in the application of the Insurance Act and SABS to motor vehicle claims.
Van believes an effective mediator is essential in maximizing the likelihood for success given the cost of litigation and delay in getting to a pre-trial let alone a trial. The parties give themselves the best chance of resolving a claim and closing the file by choosing a mediator who knows the claim, knows the litigation process and has been there many times himself. Van is taking this opportunity to gather his experience from years of practice and applying them to help resolve disputes in a timely, responsive and gratifying way.